Africa Map

African Press Agency

African Press Agency Logo
   

 Home
 Country Profile
 Useful Links
 Contact us

US/NATOBack
[Published: Thursday July 12 2018]

 US does not 'presently' consider quitting NATO, Trump

 
BRUSSELS 12 Jul (ANA) - US President Donald Trump has said he thinks it is "presently unnecessary" to consider quitting Nato.
 
The comment came after a two-day summit in Brussels, at which he said allies had committed to spending more than 2% of their annual output (GDP) on defence budgets.
 
He has previously been highly critical of the alliance, complaining the US pays more than others.
 
However, no other country has confirmed any increased commitments as yet.
 
There were unconfirmed reports this morning which suggested Mr Trump had threatened to go it alone if other nations did not meet the alliance's target of 2% of their GDP by 2024, BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale says.
 
But by the time Mr Trump held a press conference, he was hailing the summit as a success.
 
"We made a tremendous amount of progress today," he said. "It has been really amazing to see the level of spirit in that room."
 
He added the US commitment to Nato - which was established in 1949 with members agreeing that an attack against one would be considered an attack against them all - "remains very strong".
 
But there are conflicting reports over what exactly was agreed. Mr Trump said the allies "have substantially upped their commitment", with Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg giving him "total credit" for the increased spending, which he said he instigated during his first Nato meeting last year.
 
Mr Stoltenberg said members had had a "frank and open discussion" which "created a new sense of urgency", and that the "clear message from President Trump is having an impact".
 
French President Emmanuel Macron meanwhile said that no country had signed up to anything more than what was agreed four years ago.
 
Mr Trump wants the increases to happen sooner, and has previously urged Nato allies to commit at least 4% of GDP.
 
Trump vows to end 'vicious' African conflicts
"Everyone agreed to raise spending, in line with commitments made in 2014," Mr Macron said, adding he was unconvinced by proposals to increase it to 4%.
 
He said France had a clear strategy of analysing security threats and that he could not ask his government for "tens of billions more" beyond that.
 
"It's taxpayers' money we're talking about," he said.
 
President Macron said the meetings had a different tone to Mr Trump's early morning tweets, which had been typically critical.(ANA)
FA/ANA/12 July 2018------
 

North South News website

Advertise banner

News icon Egypt/Amnesty
News icon Kabul/Explosion
News icon Italy/Migrants
News icon Nissan/Ghosn
News icon Chicago/Lift
News icon Ivanka/Emails
News icon Chicago/Shooting
News icon US/Asylum
News icon UK/Brexit
News icon UK/EU

AFRICAN PRESS AGENCY Copyright © 2005 - 2007